MAIN Home Register Memberlist Calendar FAQ

Welcome to DuplexSecure-Forum
Go Back   DuplexSecure-Forum > DuplexSecure Productsupport > SPTD - SUPPORT

Old 12-02-2008, 12:30 PM
dicktater

Title: Junior Member
Instant Messaging:
Default Need Full Removal Method

I wish to completely and forever remove all vestiges of sptd from my system. I have tried to remove it using the most recent installer without success. Even after installation, the uninstaller can't find what it did. I have tried various methods posted by users of this forum, also without success.

Given the problems that many have had with this software, I am dismayed that DuplexSecure has not provided easy to locate, succinct instructions to accomplish this task in the event that the uninstaller fails. I believe that my need to use my machine outweighs the security concerns that have have created conditions whereby in the event the uninstaller fails, I am required to jump through the equivalent of 40 flaming hoops to remove sptd.

Your swift attention will be greatly appreciated. I assure you that I will not be a pest in the future as I promise to never install your software again.
dicktater is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Digger

Title: Administrator
Instant Messaging:

Disable SPTD in registry, i.e. execute regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd and change the value Start to 4, and reboot.
After reboot enable all permissions of sptd\cfg key, then delete entire sptd key, and reboot.
You can also delete sptd.sys in Windows drivers directory then (e.g. Windows\System32\Drivers).
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2008, 04:51 PM
dicktater

Instant Messaging:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger
Disable SPTD in registry, i.e. execute regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd and change the value Start to 4, and reboot.
After reboot enable all permissions of sptd\cfg key, then delete entire sptd key, and reboot.
You can also delete sptd.sys in Windows drivers directory then (e.g. Windows\System32\Drivers).
I...have...done...this...too..many...times...too.. .count.

I am only able to start in Safe Mode. Logged in as Administrator.

I have Disabled SPTD in registry by executing regedit, going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\sptd and changing the value Start to 4, and rebooted into Safe Mode.

After reboot, I have enabled all permissions to Full Control for all users and groups. However, permissions of sptd\cfg key for Creator Owner cannot be changed from Special Permissions, Allow only.

Deleted sptd.sys.

Cannot delete entire sptd key. Received the following error message:

"Cannot delete sptd: Error while deleting key."

Why reboot yet again at this point. I have actually tried several times with the same result as above. I am of the opinion that doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results is the very definition of insanity. I'm not insane. Let's do something different.

You may find this hard to believe but, I had found the instructions you posted and followed them before making my plea. I suspect that the issue may be related to the Permissions flaming hoop. Maybe you could be just a little more explicit with regard to this part and explain why I am getting this obnoxious error.
dicktater is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Digger

Instant Messaging:

Why do you boot safe mode after disabling SPTD layer in registry?
You can boot into safe mode only, even when SPTD layer is disabled? SPTD layer is not the cause of the problem then. What happens while booting "normal" mode? BSOD?
Do you have any SPTD errors in system eventlog (execute eventvwr.msc)?

Old 12-06-2008, 02:11 PM
piggallette

Instant Messaging:
Unhappy also need removal

I need to uninstall SPTD, but somehow this seems to be some kind of mysterious process. Can anyone point me to an uninstaller? I really don't like to mess with my Registry, I just want the thing off my computer.
Thank you for any help.
I think DuplexSecure definitely ought to provide a reliable, easy-to-use uninstaller for its stuff.
piggallette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Digger

Instant Messaging:

If your OS still runs, you can use the installer available at www.duplexsecure.com/downloads and click "Uninstall".

Old 05-22-2009, 02:46 PM
delweine

Instant Messaging:

make sure to take control as owner,, effective permissions, etc.. i had same issue as this guy until I made sure I had total control and all security permissions set as me for owner, including inheritance of all containers..

after i set everything to full permissions, owner, auditing, etc, etc, i was ABLE TO DELETE the key sucessfully.
delweine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2009, 04:59 PM
juser42

Instant Messaging:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
I did all that and successfully removed registry entries and sptd.sys.

Then I installed STPD 1.62. After rebooting, I ran the installer
again to verify the correct version was installed. The installer
showed SPTD 1.56 was detected so obviously the old version was
not complely removed. I again tried the removal procedure except
this time I searched the entire registry for SPTD entries and delted
them. Still no luck.

I tried using the uninstall/install and update buttons on the installer.
Nothing worked.

This is very frustrating!
juser42 is offline   Reply With Quote