Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continual Rebooting after failing to load SPTD.sys in WIN XP

Hi All,

My computer with Win XP crashed today and when I try to reboot it in safe ode, it showed the following message:

Press ESC to cancel loading SPTD.sys

after I click the ESC key it went on and then reboot again to the mode selection screen.

If start normal reboot, it also return back to reboot again.

Any suggestion on how to resolve it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Xiaojun Jiang

Boot your Windows cd into recovery console, log in (requires Administrator password), enter "disable sptd" without quotes, then exit to reboot.
    It seems the crash is not caused by SPTD though.

Comment

Hi Digger,

My CD rom is not working as well and it won't boot from my OS booting CD. It seem the system doesn't recognize that there is a CD drive at all.

Is there any other way I can boot my PC?

thanks a lot for your response.

Xiaojun Jiang

Comment

Check if your CD drive gets detected in BIOS at all.

Comment

hi there,

i have the same problem, and did what you posted.
          i entered the repair console and disabled sptd
          the console renamed it or something, and i had to reboot,
          so i did.

but i still have the same problem, when the pc reaches the windows load screen it just reboots.
          i tried to enter safe mode again, to look what the problem was, but now
          there's just a loading bar on the underside of the screen that appears, loads and than we're off to thewindows loading screen again...

what do i have to do now? any idea's?

thx!

Comment

If you disabled SPTD, the crash can actually not be caused by it.
            Which OS do you use?

Comment

i'm running windows xp professional..

Comment

Originally posted by wezz
                hi there,

i have the same problem, and did what you posted.
                i entered the repair console and disabled sptd
                the console renamed it or something, and i had to reboot,
                so i did.

but i still have the same problem, when the pc reaches the windows load screen it just reboots.
                i tried to enter safe mode again, to look what the problem was, but now
                there's just a loading bar on the underside of the screen that appears, loads and than we're off to thewindows loading screen again...

what do i have to do now? any idea's?

thx!
                Okay, by Windows Load screen do you mean where you have the Windows Logo and you have the bar that cycles across the screen, and thats where it crashes?
                Since SPTD.sys isn't a required by Windows to run it should glaze over it--though freak incidents are not uncommon, you also said it got renamed--it still is unlikely, but better safe than sorry.

To be sure, enter safe mode via hitting F8 a few times after your POST (BIOS) screen, which, if you can get into safe mode, its not too serious. At that point if you do get in.
                1. Do a System Restore to before the issue started. (If this works, get a cleaner, this option will always leave behind dead files that are, just their.)
                2. Uninstall whatever you had installed the day the issue started. (Can also see about removing SPTD, regedit should still work, and you can remove SPTD related Reg Keys, and renamed Sys file just in case... this kind of attempt should clear SPTD as a issue totally)
                3. If you cannot get into SafeMode, or none of those above work. Use your Windows XP disc to do a repair.
                4. If nothing works. You can either commit to option 5, or commit to option 4. Backup all Personal Items of Irreplacability, format, reinstall.

Option 5. Please inquire for Option 5 Requires computer with blank discs, and a cd burner.

Side note, sorry for thread hijacking

Comment

first of all, thx for the answer!

i can get into safe mode, it starts loading all the .sys files,
                  but now it stops at avgrkx86.sys, then reboots..
                  so i gotta disable than one too?

i didn't try the repair with the install disk yet,
                  maybe one of you guys knows a better way

thx!

Comment

Oddly enough, that sys file looks like AVG Anti Virus Lol. Probably so. Nail the SYS that do not let you continue to Safemode. Just remember what their renamed to.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMidnight View Post
                      Oddly enough, that sys file looks like AVG Anti Virus Lol. Probably so. Nail the SYS that do not let you continue to Safemode. Just remember what their renamed to.
                      I did have similar problem. Windows get stuck during the boot and was keeping reboot again and again. Safe mood was normal but was mentioning to press enter to load ou the SPTD. Restre to previous point did not work. Reinstaling the SPTD did not work. Deliting it did not work. Than reading the comment about AVG i recol that it was giveing me some warning in last week that i did not even read. Than after uninstalling the avg and some other software(AOL, Yahoo masenger and some others that i did know that are installed - spam) everithing went back to normal.

Thanks everybody

Comment

Working...
                      X