Clear All

• SPTD Installation Issues.

First off, the system.

Windows Vista Ultimate, Service Pack #2
    Security:
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security
    Spyware Doctor
    SpyBot Search and Destroy (InActive)

SPTD 1.6 was obtained after being unable to run Daemon Tools. The installer did the routine. Disable, reboot. It found No SPTD installed, asked if I wanted to install, I did. Reboot.

Daemon Tools continued to not run. So I look for SPTD, and I found it in my keys and in my system folder. Deletion ensued out of spite. Could not delete my key entrys oddly enough kept erroring out.

This Version of Vista is also a fresh one, only five days old. The previous OS was also Vista, Daemon Tools was also installed--it had been installed while security software was running--and Vista was SP1 at the time. No problem.

Right now I have nailed down the issue to SPTD not installing, anyone here have any ideas how to fix that? It seems both Daemon and even Alcohol need it........ >.>

(The SPTD install I have still does not find SPTD installed, when it does install, it still doesn't "finish")

Unfortunaltey ZoneAlarm Extreme Security is a kind of security software doing things it shouldn't do, thus breaking SPTD install validation and security features.
    Try to remove ZoneAlarm, then install SPTD and software using SPTD layer, then re-install Zone alarm, then disable ForceField in ZoneAlarm Extreme Security, and stop ForceField service.

Comment

What do you mean by "using SPTD layer"? I can disable, and prevent ZoneAlarm from starting up (for the record ForceField is actually turned off... works fine for IE, but I don't use IE, just FF and it crashes that)

What part of ZoneAlarm Extreme Security is causing the issue now, rather than previously?
      Last edited by JohnMidnight; 08-08-2009, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Sorry for double post. Operation was a success. Uninstall ZAES does fix the issue. Thanks, but still, why?

Comment

Is it really zone alarm not doing thing it should or SPTD?

Comment

I just like to have the deeper answers. The smoother everything runs on your OS, the longer it'll last before you end up Formating and starting over.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMidnight
              Sorry for double post. Operation was a success. Uninstall ZAES does fix the issue. Thanks, but still, why?
              Unfortunately certain kind of security software patches other processes, their memory etc., in case of ZAES this behavior breaks SPTD install validation and security features.
              You should be able to use SPTD layer and software using it (e.g. Daemon Tools), if you re-install ZAES afterwards, and disable ForceField in ZoneAlarm Extreme Security, and stop ForceField service.

Comment

I got a similar problem but with F-secure Internet Security 2010.
                Uninstalled the antivirus, installed SPTD rebooted and voila, it works.
                But after reinstall of F-Secure IS2010 and reboot it crashes again.

Any suggestion on what to disable in IS2010?

Comment

Originally posted by silverbane View Post
                  I got a similar problem but with F-secure Internet Security 2010.
                  Uninstalled the antivirus, installed SPTD rebooted and voila, it works.
                  But after reinstall of F-Secure IS2010 and reboot it crashes again.

Any suggestion on what to disable in IS2010?
                  The Deep Guard. Check blocked programs.

Comment

in case of ZAES this behavior breaks SPTD install validation and security features.
                    Can someone please explain to me why SPTD needs to have security features? I would much rather my "Security" software to handle security and my virtual driver to simply add the drive I need.

This quote says to me that it is SPTD that is doing things it probably shouldn't not Zone Alarm.

I would also like to point out that none of the other virtual drive programs exhibit these issues. UltraIso and MagicDrive will both create virtual drives without any issue with Zone Alarm nor any other security suite.

Can someone please explain how SPTD is so different that it won't work?

I have reported the issue to the Zone Alarm Devs and they are aware but they also say that some changes to BOTH pieces of software will probably be required to fix the issue!

Comment

So no one can answer my very simple question?

What security feature is incompatible with Forcefield?

Comment

Working...
                      X